Confirmation Bias

Tagged: 

This topic contains 7 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by

Participant
2 months ago.

• Author

Participant

So part of the assignment for Day 5 in the book is to see how we have used the idea of “confirmation bias” to convince myself I don’t have a problem or at least to lessen the degree of the problem. I’ve done it for sure- Im a health care provider and I take care of people all the time that are way worse than me! They are fat, diabetic,have high blood pressure,take all sorts of medicine , never exercise ,etc. I have none of those problems and I work out a lot. Never the less I drink (or did ) every night. Trust me- alcohol is not enhancing my life. I have always compared myself to my patients and told myself I didn’t have a problem because I wasn’t as bad as them. Even reading this book – I compare myself to some of the people the author talks about and I think haha – I have never been that bad. That, my friend , is confirmation bias. I have journal page after page to show how much I regret my alcohol abuse as it has caused me to feel like shit, stolen hours of productivity , hours of sleep, and aged me. Alcohol is a BIG LIE

Participant

Amen!

One of my Confirmation Biases was watching “Intervention”. I watched most of them, but focused on the ones with alcoholism becasue I could relate to those. I didn’t relate to the narcotics users becasue I didn’t abuse those. But I remember one particular episode of a mother who was still living with her family even though her husband had or was divorcing her. She drank mouthwash because of her addiction. And I thought to myself, “Geesh! What am I worried about? I am sober compared to her!” But I wasn’t.

I’m on Day 17 of not drinking even though I am only on Day 5 of the homework. Each day gets easier for me. One of my friends thought I was crazy for startng this just before the Christmas holidays. I am thinking now that not being in the same old routine has made it easier than it would have been, even with the stresses that are related to the holidays.

Keep up the good work! Prayers and good wishes for all struggling with this.

Participant

Spot on cecenash, I too work out every day I enter local Running events, am an emergency team captain multitasking in another department as supervisor. I am no way as bad as others I have no tremors, don’t pass out; not me. Wrong I am just a functional alcoholic and I now face it! I’m tired of no sleep,and feeling like shit, and have lousy work outs as well. I’m just fooling my self as well and will be “just like the others if I continue; oh and living under a tree.

Keep up the good work cecenash and work this program and move forward to the “New You”. just imagine how fulfilling the workouts will be.

Lets all kick the devil Alcohol!

Participant

My confirmation bias #1 was that “wine is healthy” & then I listened to This Naked Mind. The author was a former PR person for the wine industry & also drank 2 bottles of wine/night. She explains it is all marketing! So wrong to do that to people…

The other I guess is similar to yours @mountainman – I work out almost every day & eat mostly vegan – so I thought “it’s not all bad” but in actuality, I can never reach and/or maintain my goal weight because of alcohol & it makes me look like shit! Wow.
    Vanity can be a good thing when it comes to thriving in sobriety!

Participant

Acknowledging confirmation bias has been HUGE for me in my short journey thus far. I’ve historically continued to look for ways to justify my drinking and convincing myself that all I need to do is just cut back. This despite knowing deep down that I cannot drink in moderation. I’ve quit for six days, for twelve days, but once I start drinking again it’s just a matter of time before I am right back to the same obscene amount and frequency as before, if not more. Even when I have managed to quit for a few days, it’s misery. I’m just biding my time until I can say “see, you can quit whenever you want…now let’s get a drink to celebrate”. I compare myself to other alcoholics in my family. Patting myself on the back at how well I am functioning as a daily drinker compared to them. Now, five days into the program and four days sober, I have come to realize that the key for me started day one with the 100% Solution. Since I’ve admitted that drinking options do not exist, it has truly freed me from internal conflict. Now the key is to keep revisiting my solutions and remaining vigilant and mindful of that fact. My prior lapses have always come as a result of convincing myself that I am in control and can quit whenever I want (just not today). Taking drinking off the table is the only thing that is going to work for me.

Participant

I can relate to your post SO much!! I have attempted to control, moderate, or plan ahead the amount I’m going to drink hundreds, maybe even thousands, of times. Once one goes down the hatch, all bets are off. My last drinking episode, I bought a box of wine (yep… a box…) with only 3 servings in it and convinced myself that THAT would force me to keep my promise to only have 3 glasses. After my box of high quality vino was gone, I began on my husband’s Miller Lites until the 12 was gone. Yikes. Did I mention I LOATHE Miller Lite? Needless to say, I’ve also proven, without a doubt, I am unable to control it once I start. My lizard brain always wants more once the dopemine is released.

Participant

I’m just coming off what was basically a year long drinking binge after having been sober for 2 1/2 years. I used work stress as an excuse to start drinking again after my longest run of sobriety in over 30 years. My sister, who is also a problem drinker, said, “it’s been lonely”. sort of validating my decision to drink again. A lot of my work colleagues use alcohol to wind down, self medicate, whatever you want to call it. I suppose I used confirmation bias because I was able to justify my drinking because all of the accomplished, successful people in my company used it too. 5 days sober, and I have to say that its much easier this time. So far so good, anyway.

Participant

I can sure relate to all, especially Rachel. I can’t count the number of times I’ve bought the three glasses of wine box with the intention of only drinking that box to prove that I didn’t have a drinking problem. I wound up walking to the convenient store on the corner every time for a full bottle cause I just wanted “one more glass.” Conformation bias: cause other people I know drink at least six glasses in an event so I’m okay. Wow! Such denial.

Anyway, I’m on day 5 of the program and day 6 of sobriety. I’m feeling more confident about the process and see the tunnel entrance into thriving in sobriety. I’m committed to not consume alcohol for 30 days and willing to trust the process.

Our relief is on its way.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Register Here

If you would like more information about The 30-Day Solution Companion Website before registering you can learn all about it HERE.

• Available Now at Your Favorite Online Retailers!

"The 30-Day Sobriety Solution is an amazing step-by-step program for getting your drinking (or any addiction) under control. It uses the latest and greatest methods for overcoming addictions." —Jonathan Robinson, M.A., M.F.T., former clinical director of the National Council of Alcohol and Drug Abuse (in Santa Barbara, CA.)

Get the Audio Book

Read by Jack Canfield & Dave Andrews

"Jack Canfield and Dave Andrews have released a penetrating wind of possibilities that will blow open the shuttered windows and locked doors of addiction recovery that can never be closed again."—Dr. Jean LaCour, Co-founder of the NET Training Institute Center for Addiction and Recovery Education

Order the audiobook today by clicking the retailers below:

• rbutton_amazon
    • rbutton_BN
    • audible
    • AnazonCA

For more information or to contact us, please email: support@the30daysolution.com

For more information or to contact us, please see 30Day.Support