Counselor Appointment, trepidations!

Home Page All Forums Day 22 – The Courage Solution Community Forum Counselor Appointment, trepidations!

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by

Participant
2 years, 5 months ago.

• Author

Participant

I have an appointment next week with an addiction counselor, frankly I’m afraid of it because I have fear of the whole mental health stigma attached with heavy drinking. Since I’ve just completed day 22, I thought this would be a good topic for me right now.
    I also fear the mental health machine in general and getting this stuff into my medical records. I’m not sure if this program is going to work for me, but I’ve been going through it every day and doing most all the action solutions. I’d love some input from anyone that has something to say on the whole counseling thing. You hear so much on mental health things going really wrong.

mrd

Participant

Hello Boatbldr! I did the same thing and found a counselor that I’ve been seeing after I finished my 30 days. (It took that long to get an appointment.) He’s dealt with everything over the years and brings a really nice perspective to things for me. I think that the key is to remember that you’re in charge. You’re there for a reason and your counselor should be helping you identify your goals and helping your move towards them. I don’t think you need to worry about your medical records, unless you’re planning on running for office (joke!). Seriously, this is between you and your counselor, and sometimes it’s nice to have someone with whom you can talk about all the stuff that you’re doing. You’ve made great progress by getting to Day 23, and I commend you on making a good choice to find additional support for your progress and foundation of sobriety. I think it’s important to make sure that what you’re doing with the counselor is working for you. If not, then move on and try someone else. It just needs to be a good fit for you, and if so, I think it can be a really good thing. I also think it’s important to keep in mind that you’re not signing up for therapy for the rest of your life. Figure out what you need and what you want out of it, and when you feel ready and feel like you’ve achieved what you set out to accomplish, it’s ok to move on with what you’ve learned. Don’t worry. I think you’ll enjoy it!

Participant

Thanks MRD! That was a well thought out and pretty comprehensive reply. It was good to get an opinion since I’m hesitant to confide in friends (no one I know has gone to a counselor, or at least they didn’t advertise it!). The fact that you have gone through the same thing helps too. You pretty much addressed most of my concerns and hesitancy. I also appreciate the tips. Thanks for the reply!!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Register Here

If you would like more information about The 30-Day Solution Companion Website before registering you can learn all about it HERE.

• Available Now at Your Favorite Online Retailers!

"The 30-Day Sobriety Solution is an amazing step-by-step program for getting your drinking (or any addiction) under control. It uses the latest and greatest methods for overcoming addictions." —Jonathan Robinson, M.A., M.F.T., former clinical director of the National Council of Alcohol and Drug Abuse (in Santa Barbara, CA.)

Get the Audio Book

Read by Jack Canfield & Dave Andrews

"Jack Canfield and Dave Andrews have released a penetrating wind of possibilities that will blow open the shuttered windows and locked doors of addiction recovery that can never be closed again."—Dr. Jean LaCour, Co-founder of the NET Training Institute Center for Addiction and Recovery Education

Order the audiobook today by clicking the retailers below:

• rbutton_amazon
    • rbutton_BN
    • audible
    • AnazonCA

For more information or to contact us, please email: support@the30daysolution.com

For more information or to contact us, please see 30Day.Support