Day 1

This topic contains 22 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by

Participant
2 months ago.

• Author

Participant

I don’t drink every day. I tell myself and others I drink socially. Which is true. But every social occasion with my friends revolves around alcohol. I drink to excess, every single time. I’ve driven home so blind drunk that I don’t remember the ride. The guilt the next day is crushing. I could have gotten a DUI or worse, killed someone. To alleviate that guilt I’ve started taking Uber. Which is good for everyone else but me. Now I can really let lose without worrying about anything. My husband drinks too, socially. But not nearly as much as me. He can easily go weeks without a drink and it doesn’t bother him. But me, I make excuses to get out so I can put back 2 bottles of wine. I’m amazed at my tolerance! It’s shameful. Anyway, here I am. I’m not sure if I’ll totally quit for good. But at the very least I want to change my relationship with alcohol so that it’s possible to have just 1 drink and walk away.

Thanks for listening. Good luck everyone!

Participant

Hi Candace, it’s my day 1 today, so you’ll be one day ahead of me! I’m also very scared! My story is that I am a full time working mom of 2 kids, with an amazing husband. Wine is so easy to relax when watching tv, reading a book, etc. I would love to be the kind of mom who ‘goes out for a run’ to de-stress, but I haven’t been that person since I had my son! The wine is becoming too much of a weekly habit, and now that my kids are getting older, it’s embarrassing to think back to the night before when I fell asleep at 6:30 because I had been drinking since 11am. It’s even embarrassing to write that down. I tell myself it isn’t so bad because I only drink when I’m at home, never too much out socially, but my bottle + wine dependence is not the kind of mom I want to be.

Participant

Thank you so much for sharing so openly and honestly. I could not have posted without reading yours first. Today is my day 1. I can’t believe how long it’s been since I started telling myself that I needed to do this. I’m ready. I have a history of alcoholics in my family and I swore it would never be me. After my divorce I found myself enjoying a glass of wine with friends. When I remarried, the habit continued, but it was only occasional. I’m not sure how but after children, I found myself using wine as my nightly celebration (after kids were in bed) that I had made it through the day and could finally relax! Then one day, I realized I had probably drank every night (after I quit nursing) for years. It had gone from a glass of wine, to a bottle. When I look at my recycling I’m so ashamed. Even more so after making a fool of myself on vacation in front of my kids. I don’t want to be that person any more. I want to be the wife and mother God intends me to be. We got this!!

Participant

Day 1, I bought the book over the weekend, I quit drinking Last Fri. Aug10, made it threw my first weekend without drinking in more than 25 years. I figured I’d clear my head before starting on this journey. I managed 2 and a half years of sobriety in AA between 1990-1992, those were the best most productive years of my life. It’s taken me 26 years to get back to the point of loosing it all, family, house, job, freedom. I’m ready to turn the page and start a new chapter of my life, Starting today.

Participant

I too am on Day 1 – again. I had 9 years, 3 years, 1 year. Now my body can’t take much more.

Participant

Candace Bee, healthykc81, 1mamabear23, ktarrant26 I’m just wondering how each of you are doing…?

Participant

It’s my day 1 today. Got a DUI about 8 years ago. I fulfilled all my legal commitments and told myself things would change. 8 years later I’m still telling myself the same lies. I have a loving wife and two teenage boys that deserve a better father. I can only pray that this book does what it says.

Participant

Hello All Day 1ers. Congratulations! You’ll love what you learn in this book & website.
    As long as I do it, I stay on the path that ultimately makes me happy. Yes, I’ve strayed but come back to it because it works as long as you work it & we all feel so much better physically & emotionally. Stick to it.

Participant

Today is the beginning of day 2. I am a mom of 3 (twin 8 year olds and a 9 year old) that went from drinking only on the weekends to feeling like I need to drink every evening in order to relax. (That’s what I tell myself) I have a great husband that is in the same boat as me. Fortunately we are doing this program together. If we don’t our health, marriage, jobs and children will suffer. I desperately want to be the person I use to be, but better. I’m very nervous to fail, but I am clinging onto mutual support from my husband and giving this process 100%.

Participant

Day 1 for me….To all the great sharing so far, I am comforted to know there are others like me, that think they don’t need it or are just social drinkers who could stop at any time on any day, but like me, find that when they try to do so there is anxiety, headache, fear of failure and finally succumbing to some sort of rationalization to just (start) with 5 oz. After 5 oz with no food in my stomach, I have a nice buzz and then I don’t care it’s the next 5, or 10 oz…. and so it goes. Some days I skip any at all and think “see, I don’t need it”, but use that reasoning to have a glass of wine the next night. A lot of time is being spent thinking about holding back or cutting back or ‘how will I not”. I am hoping and praying that 30 days from now then 60 then 90 I can say, yup, I really don’ t need it nor want the results and find I can manage and am so much happier to not drink.

Participant

I haven’t seen this thread until now. The posts are amazing. I definitely fit in. My journey started 18 years ago when I was 45 yrs. old. I had a full year sober, then tried to moderate. Alcohol is such an unstable substance. Some days you do it OK, but then there’s that bad day that could ruin your life. Today is day 28 alc-free of my 4th 30-day commitment this year. With each commitment, I feel I’m pulling further and further away from alc. This book and site were the answer. And it leads to other sites and resources that help as well. I totally understand the need to de-stress. There are better ways. All kinds. A good nights’ sleep is one, to be sure. And … posting and “chatting” has really been a help to me. Very supportive.
    Have a beautiful day today, Everyone!

Participant

Hi All, great posts, Thank you for sharing. Today is Day 1 for me. I have also had a drinking problem for about 15 years. I have been flirting with quitting Alc for about 9 years now. I have had multiple 30 and 60 day abstinence periods during that time, but always wind up going back to drinking. I am really just sick of it all and wish that this will be my final attempt and I can quit for good this time. I read a quote from Stephen King in the book this morning that hit home. He basically said in the end he didn’t enjoy drinking or not drinking and had to put his trust in others that things would get better if he quit. I feel very similar, like there are no options I feel excited or happy about at the moment. So I am also trusting that things will get better if I quit.

Participant

I can relate to Brie2 post. It has been about 15 years of drinking for me (some years worse than others.) I am a functioning alcohol abuser and only drink after my workday is at done and primary at home. I can go from 0 to black out in about a bottle and a half of wine without the pleasure of a buzz in between. I am a bitch when I drink and I feel like shit almost every morning. I have come to point of “what is the point?” Besides the fact that I am getting older and the toll of my toxic lifestyle is wearing on me. I look forward to this new chapter in my life. I just hope I’m not too late.

Participant

Day one for me, looking forward to a clear life. Loved the timeline exercise.

Participant

I have been having day one for 3 days now. Two days not drinking and one procrastinating on doing the exercises. I need this, I want this, and yet I can’t seem to commit 100% till tomorrow, always tomorrow. Any help with the constant procrastination?

Participant

Pegacornj,

Funny enough, there is actual a day dededicated to procrastination but you have to start the program and do the exercises to get to it-the time is now!! My only tip would be to believe that you can do this, that you are worth it. The rest will come. I’m on day 12 tomorrow and look forward to every day. Some days are harder than others, but I learn something useful and about myself every single day. Give yourself the reward of committing to the program. It’s only 30 days and you take it one day at a time. All my best and good luck!

Participant

Pegacornj, jump in. 😊

We are here and the exercises will help you keep moving forward. I fumbled at first, but I liked the time travel technique (what I want), which made me want to listen to how to get that. I also see commercials or alcohol now as “stupid juice”. because honestly, thats what it does to me.

I have a goal of drinking again with a “take-it-or-leave-it” attitude because I am not ready to say I will never drink again. But, so far, I love the feeling of not drinking and waking up having that foggy brain.

Good luck and keep posting! Tiny actions are good! 😊😊

Participant

Today is my Day 1. Just finished the Time Travel exercise and was horrified at seeing my ten year older self: a drunken, hungover, bloated senior citizen unable to make plans with friends because I can’t be sure I won’t be hungover come the day of the event or unable to drive because of the anxiety effect of the alcohol the next day. I’m certain it will be that bad if I don’t take action now because my drinking has grown worse since tens years ago.

I now drink about two times a week and most times I cannot stop at one or two. I defend my drinking by telling myself I’ve earned it after a hard day or celebrating the end of the week. I justify the fourth or fifth glass of wine because I’m an adult and can do what I want – ah, freedom. At this point in my life, I realize I’ve truly no reward or freedom in my use of alcohol. I’m nervous and excited at the same time about the program.

Participant

Welcome Plena16!

It’s pretty powerful stuff. I know the feeling of being nervous and excited about it.

I found that by scheduling in time to “study” this each night, it has kept me going. I am healthier, and living up to my goals.

Good luck!

Participant

Hi Plena16 … I had the same reaction when I did the Time Travel Technique. I’m 63, so, yes, what a difference the booze (I should say the not-booze) will make in ten years. I have seen some beautiful elder ladies, and I bet their lifestyle has a lot to do with it. You’re making the right decisions here!

Participant

ThNk you Chris’s and Katballou for your a advice and encouragement. I’ve read your posts and appreciate your sharing. Kudos to you both for your courage to try and keep trying. I look forward to our journey.

Participant

Hi Darren

Not far from the start line but further than I was. Day 5 and today was a good day. 52 here and been drinking all my life. Never thought I drank for stress, but just because I love it so. But now I get you, 13hr days 6 days a week at work in a stressful profession for the last decade has caught up to me and something had to give. It was my body, and with it my job. Now the stress will soon become money, or lack of it, but I am 100% gonna attend to this first! I hope you are here too.

And thank you to chrise86 and lushnolonger58.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Register Here

If you would like more information about The 30-Day Solution Companion Website before registering you can learn all about it HERE.

• Available Now at Your Favorite Online Retailers!

"The 30-Day Sobriety Solution is an amazing step-by-step program for getting your drinking (or any addiction) under control. It uses the latest and greatest methods for overcoming addictions." —Jonathan Robinson, M.A., M.F.T., former clinical director of the National Council of Alcohol and Drug Abuse (in Santa Barbara, CA.)

Get the Audio Book

Read by Jack Canfield & Dave Andrews

"Jack Canfield and Dave Andrews have released a penetrating wind of possibilities that will blow open the shuttered windows and locked doors of addiction recovery that can never be closed again."—Dr. Jean LaCour, Co-founder of the NET Training Institute Center for Addiction and Recovery Education

Order the audiobook today by clicking the retailers below:

• rbutton_amazon
    • rbutton_BN
    • audible
    • AnazonCA

For more information or to contact us, please email: support@the30daysolution.com

For more information or to contact us, please see 30Day.Support