Day 28 – It's a Good Start

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by

Participant
4 years ago.

• Author

Participant

I am on Day 28 and have been alcohol free. I have been in several situations where drinking was taking place and was worried each time about how I would react. In the past it would go without saying that I would drink. I wasn’t sure how I would react when offered a drink. Would I accept and just say “Oh what the heck” or would I decline the drink. And then I worried about how I would decline the drink. And then I worried about the reaction of others if I did decline the drink. A lot of worrying going on.
    I decided to just see what happened. It turned out nothing very dramatic happened. When offered I just said I was taking a break from alcohol for a while. I didn’t make a grand announcement about my attempt at sobriety or give a lecture about how they should get sober too. I just said No thanks. That was met with a reaction of “OK, can I get you some water or tea or a soda?” A couple times the reply was “I should take a break from booze too.”
    I’m looking forward to completing Day 29 and 30. I plan to start over again and go more in depth with the daily exercises while applying the strategies I’ve already learned. I’m also looking for a therapist who specializes in alcohol abuse so I can go even deeper into the causes of my own struggles with alcohol. The daily actions steps of this program have allowed me to slowly build a solid foundation for future sobriety. Will the foundation stand the test of time? I don’t know. I do know that past attempts using willpower, guilt, and shame didn’t work. I now have something to build on and can see the positive in my future.

Participant

Newday30, that is a great strategy. After I finished the program in March, I was missing the structure of the daily readings and assignments and weakness started to creep back into my brain. But I did what you are planning and I feel like the program was better the second time. Be careful of the trap of dismissing a chapter or assignment because you did it already. During your second round, I recommend that each day you review your past journal entries then amend or I like to say, enhance your entries during your review.

Six months done for me and I feel the strongest and happiest in 40 years. There are times of weakness, so focus on the program and feeling good.

Good Luck!

Participant

Good to read! I am planning to circle back to the start and take about 3 days per solution to read up on some of the footnote materials. I like dcjohn’s suggestions to not skip and to review and fine tune my journal.

I am really happy with how the 28 days has gone and I have not struggled but I have to admit I have thought about pumpkin ale. A friend and I got into sampling different ones every year and it became a Fall “thing”. I have had little to no interest in wine or anything else; a fleeting thought at most but I think it’s the seasonality and the “it’s only around for a brief bit” idea. I do not want to take any steps back and I am annoyed that the limited availability of this one item is sticking in my brain. But as I’ve proven to myself, it really is just a matter of making a commitment to myself and doing it.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Register Here

If you would like more information about The 30-Day Solution Companion Website before registering you can learn all about it HERE.

• Available Now at Your Favorite Online Retailers!

"The 30-Day Sobriety Solution is an amazing step-by-step program for getting your drinking (or any addiction) under control. It uses the latest and greatest methods for overcoming addictions." —Jonathan Robinson, M.A., M.F.T., former clinical director of the National Council of Alcohol and Drug Abuse (in Santa Barbara, CA.)

Get the Audio Book

Read by Jack Canfield & Dave Andrews

"Jack Canfield and Dave Andrews have released a penetrating wind of possibilities that will blow open the shuttered windows and locked doors of addiction recovery that can never be closed again."—Dr. Jean LaCour, Co-founder of the NET Training Institute Center for Addiction and Recovery Education

Order the audiobook today by clicking the retailers below:

• rbutton_amazon
    • rbutton_BN
    • audible
    • AnazonCA

For more information or to contact us, please email: support@the30daysolution.com

For more information or to contact us, please see 30Day.Support