Discouraged at lack of change

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by

suz

Participant
2 years, 5 months ago.

• Author

Participant

So, yesterday I hurt myself physically, excruciating pain! I’m almost done the 30 and yet my instant reaction to the pain was where’s the wine! I’m working the program thoroughly. Obviously I haven’t effectively changed my thinking. Then my significant other criticized me at that moment for always being in a hurry. The anger rose up in me and I didn’t even think about the process we’re suppose to do as to recognizing an emotion, feeling it and letting it go. How do you do that in the moment? Feeling discouraged that all the things I’ve learned didn’t come into play. Not sure anyone really changes. Sorry to be a downer!

Participant

hi tango, thinking that it took years for us to get to this point in our drinking, thinking, being sensitive, resentful, defensive and angry. If someone could change their behavior and personality in 30 days, well someone would be a billionaire. you almost have 30, that is fantastic. cut yourself some slack and move forward 🙂 hugs, Victoire

Participant

Yeah, tango, in keeping with what victoire said, on a cellular level it takes time to alter our built up and built in remembered reactions. In the fight-freeze-or flee reaction it just does not shift as fast as we would like it to. But by recognizing it, looking at it, turning it over and around in your mind . . . well, then, there in lies the hope it seems to me.

Of course that is easy for me to say at a safe distance from your automatic reaction and subsequent disappointment. Just know that building something new from within (not unlike a Cathedral or Great Wall of China) from the ground up, takes consistent effort, dedication, determination, and trust. Wish there were a magic wand we all could grab in such yucky times, but, heck, Wallmart is fresh out.

Take good care and keep breathing and believing . . .

Best to you!

Participant

What sometimes works for me is just to take a deep breath before reacting,responding and getting on that runaway thought train. Sometimes just taking that breath is enough to slow down and regroup. Notice I said sometimes. We are all a work in progress. Best of luck!

suz

Participant

I totally relate. There have been times when I am in such a negative irritable place and I do not, for reasons I’m unsure of, apply the solutions or I do and they don’t have the positive effect. It’s really a struggle sometimes. The thing I do know…..they pass…the moments are tough, but they pass.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Register Here

If you would like more information about The 30-Day Solution Companion Website before registering you can learn all about it HERE.

• Available Now at Your Favorite Online Retailers!

"The 30-Day Sobriety Solution is an amazing step-by-step program for getting your drinking (or any addiction) under control. It uses the latest and greatest methods for overcoming addictions." —Jonathan Robinson, M.A., M.F.T., former clinical director of the National Council of Alcohol and Drug Abuse (in Santa Barbara, CA.)

Get the Audio Book

Read by Jack Canfield & Dave Andrews

"Jack Canfield and Dave Andrews have released a penetrating wind of possibilities that will blow open the shuttered windows and locked doors of addiction recovery that can never be closed again."—Dr. Jean LaCour, Co-founder of the NET Training Institute Center for Addiction and Recovery Education

Order the audiobook today by clicking the retailers below:

• rbutton_amazon
    • rbutton_BN
    • audible
    • AnazonCA

For more information or to contact us, please email: support@the30daysolution.com

For more information or to contact us, please see 30Day.Support