Need suggestions for living with an active drinker

Home Page All Forums Day 27 – The Love & Relationship Solution Community Forum Need suggestions for living with an active drinker

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by

Participant
2 years, 1 month ago.

• Author

Participant

So, I am on Day 27 of this program and I have been free of alcohol for longer than that. however, my husband continues to drink – every night. When I drank too it didn’t bother me too much even though he drank way more than I did. Now, I am sober, working on myself and he continues to drink himself to death.
    I have decided to try not to say anything – it’s all been said before. I know he needs ot make the choice for himself but it is hard to live with this.
    I have been married to this man for over 35 years. He is the love of my life. So, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    tbird

Participant

marriage counseling. he needs to hear this from a third party; coming from you it would probably be interpreted as “my spouse trying to control me” or nagging. if you are not comfortable with his drinking, he needs to understand that. He needs to make sure his wife is comfortable for the sake of the marriage.

Participant

judd,
      thanks for the suggestion. counseling might be helpful but he won’t go. i might consider going alone. better than nothing, right?
      sorry it took this long to get back to you. i did want you to know i appreciated the response.
      tbird

Participant

third53,

I am in the same situation as you. There is no way my spouse will agree to marriage counseling. We too have been married many years and so many of our experiences, good and bad, have involved drinking. I hope my new found health and happiness will help, but I know I can’t change someone else, only me. Getting through this with him is going to be very hard.

Participant

dogwood2017, thanks and sorry it’s taken this long to get back to you. i am on my second round of teh 30 day solution. i am still not drinking and feeling pretty good about myself. my husband, although i know he truly loves me, continues to drink. marriage counseling might be good but he wouldn’t go. i might consider going by myself. i don’t know. i grapple with this often. at least i have kept my agreement with myself not ot drink.
      good luck to you. it’s always helpful to know you’re not alone.
      tbird53

Participant

Hi tbird53 ! It’s nice to “see” you here again. Congratulations on your continuing Sobriety and success. I hope you are getting support…its tough when you can’t share as much as you’d like to with your partner. I friended you on your profile page! (Tap on your screen name and you’ll see!) Best to you flourishing! Onward, Sina

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Register Here

If you would like more information about The 30-Day Solution Companion Website before registering you can learn all about it HERE.

• Available Now at Your Favorite Online Retailers!

"The 30-Day Sobriety Solution is an amazing step-by-step program for getting your drinking (or any addiction) under control. It uses the latest and greatest methods for overcoming addictions." —Jonathan Robinson, M.A., M.F.T., former clinical director of the National Council of Alcohol and Drug Abuse (in Santa Barbara, CA.)

Get the Audio Book

Read by Jack Canfield & Dave Andrews

"Jack Canfield and Dave Andrews have released a penetrating wind of possibilities that will blow open the shuttered windows and locked doors of addiction recovery that can never be closed again."—Dr. Jean LaCour, Co-founder of the NET Training Institute Center for Addiction and Recovery Education

Order the audiobook today by clicking the retailers below:

• rbutton_amazon
    • rbutton_BN
    • audible
    • AnazonCA

For more information or to contact us, please email: support@the30daysolution.com

For more information or to contact us, please see 30Day.Support