Share your negative thinking traps with others

Home Page All Forums Day 17 – The Eternal Optimist Solution Community Forum Share your negative thinking traps with others

This topic contains 43 replies, has 37 voices, and was last updated by

Participant
4 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

Many people find that sharing their negative thinking traps helps to expand their awareness about where their problem drinking started. Share some of your “traps” in today’s forum thread – Day 17 – Negative Thinking Traps. You may find this experience to be very freeing.

Participant

Although I am on day 17 of the Sobriety Solution, today is my 24 day without ETOH. Yesterday was the first day I had a very noticeable urge to drink. The desire to drink wine surged and subsided throughout the day. I didn’t drink and knew that I wouldn’t, but along with the urge came the thought that after 30 days (be it my own 30 days or the sobriety solution 30 days ) I could choose to drink ETOH again.

Yesterday I was caught up at least two negative thinking traps.The first was deletion. As I dreamed of sipping a glass of cold Chardonnay, I cut-out that I am not much of a sipper. Not that I gulp (rude) but I sip, let’s say frequently and I take big sips. I omitted the anxiety I feel when my glass is half empty (yup) “Will the waitress return soon?” “Can I catch her eye so she brings me another right away?” etc. I edited out the cold surrender in my voice when I announced
    “I want to stop and pick up wine.” and hidden sadness my husband’s “Sure”. I deleted the next morning hangover filled with self loathing, labeling, headache, and “here I go agains”.

The other thinking trap was personalization as in, “Poor me, I cannot drink while lucky others can.” When the truth is, my past has proven that I absolutely can drink copious amounts of wine. And, at any given moment I can make a run to the liquor store and buy a bottle. I have the means, I have the id, I am good to go.

Instead, I choose not to drink alcohol.

As for the lucky others, I cannot be certain of the amount they drink. Some may have a glass or two and stop. Others may be like me, have a glass or two at dinner, then pick up a bottle or two on the way home.

I don’t know and this isn’t about them, this is about me.
    Being me, I CHOOSE not to drink because it is my best choice.

Thank you for sharing your negative thinking traps so eloquently. Those are two powerful traps that many people get stuck in, whether related to drinking or not. I appreciate how deep you dug, coming up with examples and posting it here- I know it will help others as they move through the solutions. And what an empowering decision, to CHOOSE not to drink, rather than being held hostage by alcohol. Great job!

Participant

Ive been struggling with knowing what exactly a negative thinking trap is and you explained it so perfectly! I struggle with the same thoughts and didn’t see how to expand on the thoughts to the negative outcomes. thank you your post really helped me.

Participant

This was so good for me to read today. Thank you so much for sharing so honestly.

Participant

I really appreciate your thoughts. I feel very similar. Thank you.

Participant

It’s kind of funny that I’m so predictable! Yesterday I had an emotional moment and had the urge to drink, but I knew I wouldn’t. The anger remained this morning and I spent some hours tapping it out.
    An old trigger/wound was set off and set me down a familiar path, perhaps accentuated due to hormones.
    Emotional reasoning was at play big time, justifying my position and why I had been ‘put down’ I took the situation personally, and did some mind reading to concur with my general thoughts/emotional generalising.
    Quiet a moment that had me right in the throws of anxiety. Negative labelling, and self loathing. A very interesting exercise, and at an opportune time. A good walk on the beach helped clear what was left after tapping, though I still had the urge to drink. But didn’t.
    I also should on myself, I should be more successful after all this time. Negative labelling comes into this scenario as well…. The expression ‘you attract what you are being’ ….I have attracted drunks and losers… Hhmm as we can see the generalisation is at play as well. Because this is simply not true. Perfectionism coming into play, I never thought I was a perfectionist because I had this feeling nothing I’d is good enough….duh.
    A work in progress, still learning. Thank you.

Participant

Even before this chapter in the book, I realized I receive daily criticism from my wife;especially during our evening cocktail hours. In the past, I would affirm all her criticism. Now, I gently counter her thoughts as I feel I can filter the criticism rather than passively accept everything that is presented to me?

Thank you.

Participant

What is ETOH?

Participant

ethanol

ethyl alcohol

ethyl-OH

Participant

Hi!

Some of my negative thinking traps include, “I just need a drink to relax” when in reality I have more than one drink….usually one bottle of wine, and I have a terrible sleep, toss and turn all night then wake up not rested, and going to work and put in a very unproductive day, not engaging with people I work with and just doing the minimum. And I don’t like myself then. And I am definitely not “relaxed”.

I also think I will just have a glass of wine, a big one, while I do the gardening, I think I will enjoy gardening more that way but I did some gardening today, first time in a long time without drinking, since winter is just over, and I really enjoyed it. I was very productive and got a lot of spring clean up done.

goldengirl

Participant

I also used drinking while cooking to relax ,for stress and for neck and Back pain. I pour one drink then keep topping until a bottle was almost gone. Being on meds also, you can imagine my high. I’d wake up next day with a “sinus” headache and felling crappy ,guilty and a failure.
    Now 17 days sober, I realize that I got through all my excuses each day and I feel wonderful and happy and joyful. Don’t think I didn’t have to often remind mself of the pain of drinking vs the pleasure of sobriety.
    I now exercise, and when I cooking I drink warm water with lemon and honey and I find it is very comforting to me.
    I love the program. Thank you.

Participant

All my negative thinking traps boil down to fear. Fear I am not enough and can’t do enough to make up for it. Daily meditation and tapping help so much. It is still a challenge to focus on positives, negativity has been so ingrained in me. The best news is that my sense of humor is back without drinking and one of my core values.

Participant

Hi Biancalana
    ETOH is the abbreviation for CH3CH2OH (one carbon molecules three hydrogen molecules and so on)
    which is the chemical formula for ethyl alcohol commonly known as drinking alcohol.?
    bye
    HapE

Participant

I generalize when thinking about the past 15 years of nearly drinking everyday. I horrify thinking I will relapse because the habit is just too hard to break. Today was one of those times I feared I’d be down and tempted to drink. I know I wouldn’t due to my commitment but the FEELING feels like I failed. Basically the day was to end late like many other days in the past. I used to call my husband on the way home to make sure he handled dinner, usually a carry out or delivery. I’d also tell him to pour a glass of wine for me because I was on the way home. I’d slug that puppy down so fast due to the lateness of the evening and gosh darn! I had catching up to do! This HABIT I fear. Being stressed at the end of a long day only ended one way for 15 years.
    Specifically every time I envision a drinking situation, I generalize it with all other situations.

So to handle this, I made sure to spend some time alone before my evening appointment. I tapped to release the stress of the specific habit I feared of working late and how I relieved that stress in the past. I told myself this is just one situation you have to get through. Not one of many, just ONE. focus on just this one! I felt equipped for the “test”.

Guess what happened? My evening was cut short by an hour at least. Call it a miracle or whatever but I came home early. I called in our Chinese order and went to pick it up. Didn’t even think of drinking!! GOD IS GOOD.

IM OK AND WILL CONTINUE TO BE OK ONE DAY AT A TIME.

Participant

My main Negative Thinking Traps are Perfectionism, Generalizing, & Shoulding all over myself and other people for that matter. It’s not surprising that all of these fall under the categories of the All or Nothing Mindset. Since 2014, I’ve been doing a lot of work to be more in the “gray area of life” and to focus on progress not perfection. The perfectionist mindset is very exhausting and very disempowering to never feel like you’re good enough or doing enough to succeed at anything.

By doing a lot of self-development work over the years, I do my best to keep the words, should, have to, &/or need to out of my vocabulary because it usually means that I’m operating in someone else’s value system instead of my own. I do my best to replace them with want to, get to, or CHOOSE To do something…This is way more empowering than the word “should” because it just makes me automatically resist whatever the action or step is.

Participant

Good aquarius30. You’re on the right track. Definitely words to avoid.
    Bye
    HapE

Participant

I loved reading everyone’s posts tonight. Thank you all for sharing. I I hate to say that it’s nice to know that there are others out there who feel like I do. I often think I’m the only one and reading your stories gives me strength to change and thrive in sobriety. I definitely struggle with generalizations, perfectionism, shoulding, deletion, negative self talk and many others. I have been working on them all for quite some time, but having this today really put me back into the mode of watching, analyzing, and reprogramming my inner voice, that witch in my head won’t shut up!, trying to be more positive too. I catch myself running on auto pilot all day long and when mess up I call myself names, now I’m trying to remind myself to stay in the moment t and focus on what I’m actually doing right now instead of thinking about everything else I need to do. I’m meditating and exercising to relieve the stress too. I remind myself of the reality of drinking and the morning after if my mind starts to tell me how wonderful relaxing or fun having a drink would be. As if, one would be enough 🙂 I chose not to drink and enjoy my mornings now. Instead of nursing a hangover I do my daily reading and activities while drinking coffee. Much more fun.

Participant

Perfectionism (YIKES – BIG TIME!!), jumping to conclusions, exaggeration, and personalization… I read those negative traps and they jumped right off the page! It seems like much of my focus in the past has been on what could go wrong… I am also guilty of “should” statements, toward myself and sometimes also toward my family. I never realized how often I was doing this, and how useless and disempowering it can be! (Everyone has to grow at their own pace, when they are ready, and when the want to.) Learning to recognize these traps will be a huge step in the right direction. I loved the lesson today about “fixing a dark house by turning on a light, instead of trying to push away the darkness” – simply by being aware of negative thoughts / patterns, and replacing them with positive, optimistic and reaffirming thoughts – what a powerful concept!

Participant

Hi all – I’m a new-comer to Forum participation. I started the 30-day Solution last Thursday May 19th and have read the book through to end of Day 3 session but falling behind in my journal entries – will finish Day 2 today and deal with Day 3 tomorrow. I think this book and online support group program is terrific – like-minded people working together to trek through he wilderness toward sobriety.

I just want to let you know I’m here and listening to your input and suggestions. I’m, by nature, a pretty quiet person but I’m thinking of publishing my journal on this site or on a Facebook, page so anyone who’s interested can follow me through these 3o days, provide comment, guidance and criticism and maybe develop some ideas on how to become involved. I’ve been struggling with this alone for years, and assume many of you are in the same position. Now we’re doing it together.

My 3+ days involvement update:

May 19: downloaded book and joined the website; ‘got my feet wet’ with this program with the Intro Chapter (book) and online introduction videos and ‘housekeeping guidance’
    May 20: read the book through the end of Day 1; created and organized My Journal (MS WORD – Create A Journal); decided my timeframe – 30 days; listened and followed the Time Travel Technique exercise, I also stopped drinking last evening; this is the 1st Day Of Sobriety for me.
    May 21: Read Day 2 session; fulfilled action steps including the Before You project and 30-Days Vision Statement; reviewed and began using the E+R=O formula; spent a lot of time on the website exploring videos, tools, forums etc. to familiarize myself; called my personal doctor and made an appointment for this Wednesday; I also set up my photo room to take a ‘selfie’ as a benchmark for the future. Also this morning, I disposed of all alcohol in my house and have committed not to frequent licensed establishments until I feel confident I can go there and avoid the temptations.

… and now here I am, I thinks pretty much set up and ready get at it! I look for ward to working with you all on this. Cheers!

So now I’m here, pretty much setup and ready to get at it. I looking forward to working with you all through this ‘adventure’. Cheers

pelagic

pelagic

Participant

In three days, it will be one year since I lost my wife of almost 40 years. This is about the last of the holidays(occasions) that I have to process for the first time. As I contemplated an evening for the start of a three day weekend, my thought turned to the many happy times I experienced over these time periods and how nice a drink would be to help the evening along. Of course, one might turn into two or three. The gamut of thoughts turns from why can’t I enjoy alcohol in reasonable quantities? to why am I probably alone for this evening. Getting out from under my thoughts, I realize I could manufacture something to do and I have other events planned for this weekend. In the last few days, my commitment to getting through the materials has flagged and I see how I can detour into regrettable directions. I have to say I love the program as I really don’t consider drinking and I find the exercises in each chapter insightful as to why my behavior manifests itself the way it does. What is nice about the program is that you can take the Success Principles and their related practice and fill in the holes around them where I tend to fall down. I particularly enjoyed the concept of “Traps” and discerning my specific ones. The primary one is that there is a shortage of resources
    to live a life of abundance. This invitation to comment was just what I needed as it reinforced the Chapter 17 content and has me pointed in the right direction. Thank you.

Participant

It is so great to read all your posts knowing that I am not alone. Thank you all so much.

Participant

I’ve found Day 17 solution extremely helpful with helping me become aware of negative self talk traps. It was very freeing knowing I am not alone with them and awareness is the first key. it’s all about choice really, we are all humans and what sets us apart from those that thrive in sobriety and live in success is choosing differently. We too can be successful and are more than good enough for this. I related so well to Matt’s story, it was a piece of me, especially the fact he felt he wasted so much of his life not living his life. The Forgiveness Solution has helped me with this. The “Ultimate Irony” of this Day 17 solution is I found I was trying to perfect the solutions themselves. Being very hard on myself in getting them right so I don’t fail. When in front of me I was doing a fantastic job. Using all the solutions thus far in my life. Everyday repeating them when I felt myself in need, and dropping minimalising what I am doing and celebrating it. I had a false sense that I had to whip myself round to do the solutions which bizarrely enough is setting myself up for failure and only punishing myself which is a no win situation.

I am grateful for this awareness and am so proud of how far I have come on this programme. It is intense and freeing and I am loving the changes in my life in so many areas, including being sober for 175 days – wahoo!!!!!!

Participant

Boy, I am on Chapter 17, 18 days sober and today’s message and action steps are a perfect example of synchronicity. I woke up just plain frustrated with myself, my money issues and career issues. After going down a very familiar path of self-loathing and nasty, negative self-talk I got to the website here and did some soul searching and made a discovery. A huge trigger for me is jealousy (and I didn’t even recognize it all these years!). I am not a big Facebook person, but just seeing what others post made me feel even worse about myself, until I recognized it for what it is… I will be staying away and continuing to work in my journal and on my issues and I will be staying sober! I feel so much better and I haven’t even read the chapter yet, but certainly will tonight after work and can’t wait. Thank you so much for this program!

Participant

FREE: Digital Press Vendors Talk About Finishing–Part II custom printed shipping boxes office equipment Dr. Joe Interviews Dr. Michael Cunningham (Audio) ,Economic Roundup, and Dr. Joe’s Siggraph Adventure
    Established recently, Gronhi Graphics International (GGI) may be the import and distribution representative within the U.S. for Hans Gronhi, (pronounced GRON-high) a Chinese technology conglomerate that manufactures offset presses, CtP systems, and bindery equipment. Hans Gronhi exhibited at Print 05 as well as drupa 2008, but Keith Tweten, GGI’s second in command of sales and service, says that GGI’s appearance at Print 09 marked a symptom of any focused effort to begin a presence within the U.S. market. ,office accesories publish a book
    printing-in-china.com

Participant

What is up with all the “printing” related posts?

Participant

I am loving being 17 days sober. I know one of my biggest triggers to drink is that my marriage is slowly falling apart as my husband drinks excessively. When watching TV together at night I pour myself a nonalcoholic wine and sip that while he drinks several gin and tonics. I feel I am moving farther and farther away from the desire to drink as in looking back I do not have any euphoric memories of drinking. My memories are exclusively related to painful memories. I look at how many things have changed. Hands do not shake,handwriting 100% better, no hangover, much better sleep, happier at work, very proud that I have come this far thru Christ who strengthens me!

Participant

SG360掳: Taking Care of Business print solutions packaging boxes Front-ended using a Xerox FreeFlow Print Server which Xerox states is its strongest server yet, the scalable RIP supports native data streams including IPDS, PDF (including PDF/VT), PostScript and Xerox’ proprietary VIPP data stream. Xerox reports that you have in excess of 40,000 Xerox FreeFlow Print Servers installed worldwide. The front-end workflow may also support multi-vendor environments offering products from InfoPrint Solutions, HP, Océ among others. ,Inkjet International Days
    The Mintzberg book has two marvelous sections, both related on the Boston Consulting Group (BCG). First, the firm’s popular quadrant label of “stars,” “dogs,” “cash cows,” and “question marks” also comes in for any good and well-deserved discrediting due to its shallowness. The second one reviews an analysis by BCG of Honda’s entry to the motorcycle market and compares it with reports from Honda executives. They were quite different. ,锘?a href=”http://printing-in-china.net/”>printing services Office Supplies
    printing-in-china.net

Participant

Wag the Dog: Recent CAP Ventures Survey Nails It, Print Buyers Are Right After All Box Printing packaging boxes Wake Up and Smell the Coffee: Straight Talk about M&As in A 鈥淐up O Joe鈥? ,Print Buying inside the Pharma Field
    Last month, I had the capacity to go to HP鈥檚 Boise offices as well as fellow members with the media. While the session aimed at print solutions for up-and-coming small to mid-sized businesses, many with the solutions we had have implications for commercial printers. ,printing in china packaging boxes
    printing-in-china.net

Participant

Q2 Call: Wallace sees profit improvement and achieving ready for that Moore merger Paper Gift Box Printing On the Floor ,Back on the Futura: preserving printing鈥檚 past
    By Cary Sherburne Published: May 15, 2006 ,printing in china Label Printing
    printing-in-china.net

Participant

Launching Additional Brands Online cheap printing solutions print solutions Happy Birthday, Fred! ,Production Inkjet鈥擳he Next Wave: Super Web Digital with Memjet Aspen
    Joe Prestino (at microphone), co-chair with the 2004 Printing Week Dinner Committee, leads a toast to Printing Week and Benjamin Franklin’s birthday together with the assistance of Emma Serra Green, president from the Club of Printing House Craftsmen of New York, and Vincent DiPalma, Dinner Committee co-chair. ,锘?a href=”http://printing-in-china.net/”>printing services cheap printing solutions
    printing-in-china.net

Participant

Kodak Graphic Communications, So Far So Good packaging boxes 锘?a href=”http://printing-in-china.net/”>printing services To help non-profits manage their operations and constituent relationships more proficiently without the complexity and investments of traditional software, Innovairre also introduced Innovairre MC. This cloud-based, integrated platform transforms the way in which non-profits engage making use of their donors. The objective of Innovairre MC would be to help non-profit organizations connect across traditional, online, social, and mobile channels to handle all aspects of their operations, from decisions to deposits. This platform was specifically built to be all to easy to deploy and rehearse. ,Beyond the Pale: White Inks Offer Unique Wide-Format Challenges and Applications
    The objective, said Canon chairman and CEO Fujio Mitarai throughout a preview at Javits on September 9, was to demonstrate that the company is “taking risks beyond imagination” in their pursuit of recent tools to make or recording visual experiences in virtually all spheres of life. Canon’s ambition, said Mitarai, are few things less than to provide a device for “every kind of image in each and every type of situation” where Canon customers leave their imprints around the visual world. ,cheap printing solutions printing solutions
    printing-in-china.net

Participant

3-Year drupa Cycle Starting in 2015? print solutions Office Supplies Although October seems far within the future, with 2010 barely beginning, the Graphic Arts Show Company (GASC) and vendors for the industry have already been busy planning to the show. The theme in 2010 is The Next Generation of Print. While the show company still positions Graph Expo to be a “powerhouse selling show,” additionally, it understands that you cannot assume all attendees will likely be coming to your show just to acquire. The show’s site says, “…everyone WILL be there family interaction to develop a new challenge—forging an inventive new path to the future in the graphic communications industry.” ,If You Think Selling Your Business is Like Selling Your House 鈥?Guess Again! Part Two: Improving Value
    HP PageWide Web Press ,Label Printing cheap printing solutions
    printing-in-china.net

suz

Participant

Negative thinking traps: too tired, need a drink to push through cooking after a hard day at work
    “I can’t”, I can’t do this or that without a drink to calm me
    ” I’m afraid” I’m afraid that I’ll be so foggy and feel like crap and won’t be focused at work…can’t do what needs to be done ….If I stop drinking for an extended period
    Not good enough, don’t have enough energy.
    Lots of traps
    Lots of opportunities to shine the light on negativity

Participant

Day 17 couldn’t have come at a better time. So far this book has opened up my eyes and mind to all the things that alcohol has pacified. Each day has truly been one chapter at a time. I guess for right now my main thinking trap would be staying so positive, when is the floor gonna drop?? How can I keep this up?? But the book does explain to me that trying to be perfect is putting way to much pressure on me, labeling other people was just a mask to hide my faults. And jumping to conclusions??? It’s clear that you cannot change the past and you cannot predict the future, you have to let things come and have the courage and confidence to see it through. Setting small goals and seeing them unfold has been awesome, It’s been a great confidence booster. Tapping also has slowed my anxiety to a halt. I haven’t challenged myself yet out there in the real world , but I am slowly introducing my sobriety at work with my friends and family. St. Patrick’s day will be hard, with parades this weekend and usually on that day I take the day off and start with a liquid breakfast. I can’t wait to write in my journal that day.. Staying optimistic is key, turning those negatives into positives is paramount. It might sound corny but I have been saying this to myself every day and so far it’s been working for me ” Look where you where, Look where you are , Look where you want to be”
    Don’t give up !! Hang in there!! Hope (I Will) be writing to you on day 30 !!
    Peace

Participant

I used to get stuck with, ” Why am I the alcoholic of the family?”
    Then I would think of all the reasons that I was not an alcoholic person.
    And then that would lead to all the really fantastic reasons for drinking.
    Which of course led to more drinking.
    That part of my life is over now.
    The negative images , are there though, and are a great catalyst for my continued thriving in sobriety life style.

Participant

Big deletion trap…When I get the urge to drink, it’s usually around generating the excitement and courage it gives me as I become the “alcohol king” and talk about all my big plans for success in my life. What I delete is the feeling of failure when I don’t follow through on my alcohol king’s big plans… Leading to my negative labeling of myself as a failure.

I never realized how much I used alcohol in order to courageously tap in to my creativity and break down the walls I built up around me.

Honestly…just writing that makes me want to drink…to let the wild animal loose I guess.

But I’ve had too much pain watching the alcohol king fall again and again. I will persevere and continue developing clarity as my real energy and confidence returns through good thoughts, good movement, and good food.

Thanks for listening and thank you all for sharing. It’s a challenging but amazing journey and I’m glad to have you all here along with me.

Participant

Hi, I’m doing really well with the program thus far and enjoying a new way of thinking. I had never tried to quit drinking before this. I always shut the idea down immediately. “Out of the question,” “I am and have always been a daily drinker,” “I would be so bored, I wouldn’t know what to do with myself,” or “I can’t possibly sleep without it.” But now, I’m looking more closely at those rationalizations and finding them to be completely untrue! I have been downing a bottle of wine per night for years based on faulty assumptions about myself and my capabilities. Wow.

Participant

Negative Labeling is the biggest trap for me. Yesterday was Day #17—I wrote in my journal some re-worded messages to overcome this challenge. I already knew of it from the yogis telling me to say something positive to myself every day, and even years back my personal trainer warning me that negative self-messages can manifest negative outcomes. It had become an ingrained habit. Also, combined with perfectionism, the negative labeling was reinforced. But habits can be changed. I recall from earlier in the Solutions that I am supposed to look in the mirror and say “I Love You,” which to date is the most difficult and uncomfortable exercise here.

The Tapping Solution has helped, because in the positive tapping, I repeat “…I love and accept myself completely.”

Emotional Reasoning is also a significant trap for me. It was ironic that my bf and I were discussing an issue and having trouble communicating about it—and I felt that he was upset with me—but he said “This is not how it’s going to be permanently—it is just a disagreement.” Which immediately brought to mind the Day 17 solution that I had read that morning.”

Participant

Wesley I know what you mean about the Alcoholic King and the negative effects. When I was drinking I would tell myself and others of my big plans and how great my life was gonna be. I even got a divorce because I didn’t need my ex, because he was the problem not me, and without him I would have a great life. How stupid I was, and still trying to forgive myself and move on. I see others doing the same thing when they drink, and I think to myself Oh the alcoholic king is here. When I read about the alcoholic king it was like I was hit over the head with realization of what I was doing.

Participant

Mind Reading –  I assume everyone is unhappy with me, is picturing me in the worst way, is only seeing things in a way that make me look bad

Emotional Reasoning – I get very unhappy about the lack of time or energy to do things I want in life, and the lack of appreciation or feeling of teamwork or support with my wife, and I just get down and angry and want it all to go away.

Generalizing – Although things are pretty bad, I do tend to generalize the current situation to all similar situations, forever.  This has been worse lately because there have been so many weekends, one after the other, where my trapped feeling has borne out and life is flying by.  So right now, I’m not sure I’m exaggerating things, but I can do this at other times.

Deletion – I focus on the happiness of drinking.  I romanticize the bad parts of drinking.  I delete any of the little happiness-es of sober life with the girls, and focus on the hours of drudgery and having to put up with my wife sober.

Exaggeration/Minimizing – same as others above.  Right now I’m not sure this is the case because things really may be as extreme as I think they are.  At least for the next couple of years, which feels like forever at this point.

Should Statements – Thinking about how life should be, how my wife should act, how a healthy relationship should be, how a nice home with functional relationships should feel.

Negative Labeling – I tend to label situations and people in order to put a point on what I hate about what is happening, what makes me feel bad, and what I’d like to describe as unfair.

Participant

List negative thinking traps

highly opinionated 5 sensory people can exhaust me (left brain low-intuitive hyper-intellectuals)
    highly opinionated people can exhaust me (left – hyper intellectual or right brain – pseudo intuitive)

I can’t have an intimate relationship with highly opinionated 5 sensory people or pseudo-intuitives
    I can’t have an intimate relationship with highly opinionated people

How to change negative thinking traps?

the opinions of people don’t have to stick to me

I can meet anyone at their gift level (where they are really conscious or attempting to be truly conscious) with compassion and empathy

I’m responsible for whether or not I wear out emotionally

Participant

This is my second time through the 30 Day Solution and I am finding it easier and well worth another go. I do not seem preoccupied with finishing so that I can try drinking but rather looking forward to the continuation of the benefits of being happy and content without drinking or with drinking occasionally without “chasing the buzz”.

One of my negative thinking traps is personalization. I’m beginning to think that while it is important to be fair and open, I have been feeling too responsible for others’ happiness.

Participant

Today has been a milestone in understanding myself. My mother encouraged me to never rise above my station in life. She is a good woman but somehow thought this was the way to raise me. I can’t believe its taken me this long, I’m 68 to realise this is the root cause of my need to drink. I was literally a pack of beer plus every night for at least the last 38yrs and at one time was never out of a pub. Luckily I reduced that intense level years ago. It hurt too much the next day. Nature has its ways. I had a late night working today and I suppose because its Friday night I fancied a beer. I bought a pack of Becks Blues -non alcoholic!. I find that gets me over those pitfalls. Just had a couple mind. I don’t know about anyone else but once I’ve had my evening meal the desire goes away and always had.
    Best of luck to you all. It’s just so worth it.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Register Here

If you would like more information about The 30-Day Solution Companion Website before registering you can learn all about it HERE.

• Available Now at Your Favorite Online Retailers!

"The 30-Day Sobriety Solution is an amazing step-by-step program for getting your drinking (or any addiction) under control. It uses the latest and greatest methods for overcoming addictions." —Jonathan Robinson, M.A., M.F.T., former clinical director of the National Council of Alcohol and Drug Abuse (in Santa Barbara, CA.)

Get the Audio Book

Read by Jack Canfield & Dave Andrews

"Jack Canfield and Dave Andrews have released a penetrating wind of possibilities that will blow open the shuttered windows and locked doors of addiction recovery that can never be closed again."—Dr. Jean LaCour, Co-founder of the NET Training Institute Center for Addiction and Recovery Education

Order the audiobook today by clicking the retailers below:

• rbutton_amazon
    • rbutton_BN
    • audible
    • AnazonCA

For more information or to contact us, please email: support@the30daysolution.com

For more information or to contact us, please see 30Day.Support