Sleep

This topic contains 7 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by

Participant
2 years, 2 months ago.

• Author

Participant

Hi,

I completed day 8 yesterday, also 8 days sober. I’m doing great, but asides from cravings my biggest challenge is falling asleep. Any others experiencing this? Have you found anything that helps falling asleep?

I have tried
    * going for a walk before bedtime
    * taking hot shower
    * aromatherapy with Lavender
    * exercising during the day
    * stretching

But it is still difficult for me to fall asleep- I guess two decades of being used to passing out drunk I kind of forgot how to do it.

Once I’m asleep, it’s fine and I actually sleep much better than before, but it takes me 2-3 hours to actually fall asleep.

What is your solution?

Participant

Sleepytime Tea Extra. Don’t know what it is but it knocks me on my ass! Tried everything else but this has been good for me. Congrats on the 8 days

Participant

thanks for the tip.. seems like the active ingredient is valerian.

It sounds quite effective from the reviews, but on the other hand there are some possible adverse side-effects including Hepatotoxicity (chemical induced liver damage) listed on Wikipedia.

I’m not a doctor and not sure how risky it really is.. but I think I’ll try for a few more days increasing my walking activity.. did 22000 steps today, let’s see if that helps!

Participant

Prior to starting the program I was taking melatonin. I would take it about 90 minutes prior to bedtime and it seemed to help. I had no problems falling asleep before taking it, staying asleep was my issue. I’d wake between 2:30 – 3:30 am and not be able to fall back asleep. Melatonin seemed to help for a while, and I would only then toss and turn until the alarm went off.

I will say that since I have started the program my sleep has improved. There have been nights since that I have not taken the melatonin and slept great. I will say that the first week of the program has really opened my eyes and maybe letting go of some of my “baggage” has helped. Peace of mind is wonderful.

Participant

Like biged82, I often took melatonin to sleep, and while it helped with falling asleep, I was awake and bug-eyed right about 3am and then remained awake, ruminating, for the rest of the night. I am now on day 8 and feel super sleepy a lot but from what I understand, that is pretty normal and will change to a feeling of well rested eventually. Now I drift off to sleep pretty well and notice the depth of my sleeping has changed dramatically. I sleep so much better. What a wonderful enhancement to sobriety!

Participant

I have the same problem and have a stack of novels by my bed . I don’t want to replace the booze and some other substance so some nights I sleep really good and other night I read half the night . I figure it is going to take my body sometime to get used to having to go to sleep on its own but it’s worth it to wake up clearheaded without any type of medicine head or alcohol fueled brain issues.

Participant

Hi @gagalgoingdry,

I have always had trouble falling asleep, but I recently downloaded an app called “Calm” and it has Sleep Stories, bedtime stories for adults. I put one on, snuggle in and I’m out like a light in no time at all. You get a handful free, but have to pay monthly for the others. It has been well worth it to me. My favourite is the teacher from “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off” reading from an economics book. 🙂

Participant

I like listening to sleep meditations. I started doing it after the time travel exercise in day 1 and it helps me so much!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Register Here

If you would like more information about The 30-Day Solution Companion Website before registering you can learn all about it HERE.

• Available Now at Your Favorite Online Retailers!

"The 30-Day Sobriety Solution is an amazing step-by-step program for getting your drinking (or any addiction) under control. It uses the latest and greatest methods for overcoming addictions." —Jonathan Robinson, M.A., M.F.T., former clinical director of the National Council of Alcohol and Drug Abuse (in Santa Barbara, CA.)

Get the Audio Book

Read by Jack Canfield & Dave Andrews

"Jack Canfield and Dave Andrews have released a penetrating wind of possibilities that will blow open the shuttered windows and locked doors of addiction recovery that can never be closed again."—Dr. Jean LaCour, Co-founder of the NET Training Institute Center for Addiction and Recovery Education

Order the audiobook today by clicking the retailers below:

• rbutton_amazon
    • rbutton_BN
    • audible
    • AnazonCA

For more information or to contact us, please email: support@the30daysolution.com

For more information or to contact us, please see 30Day.Support